Township Treasurer: John C. Calhoun
(517) 592-2000 x. 240
Deputy Treasurer: Debbie Toburen
(517) 592-2000 x. 241
Credit Card Provider Update
Columbia Township has successfully implemented Point and Pay as our new service provider for all credit card payments. We have been extremely pleased with the interface to our BS&A Software programs which enables the resident to quickly and seamlessly make credit card payments on-line. The Summer tax cycle showed an increase in credit card usage, so all improvements to the on-line payment process is welcomed by all users
What the Property Tax Administration Fee Covers
Under Michigan property tax law, Columbia Township, at its discretion and through Board approval, is able to assess a 1% fee on all tax bills collected. To clarify how the 1% fee is used, Michigan Compiled Laws (section 211.44) allows the fee to be used for the expense of preparing and mailing the tax statement, the treasurers bond premium cost and the balance is used to offset costs incurred by our township assessing unit. In Columbia Township, this represents approximately $111,000 of our Assessing department’s annual budget of over $134,000. For tax year 2014, Columbia Township was able to reduce this administration fee, down to .5%.
Summer 2016 Tax Payments
The Summer 2016 taxes were mailed to residents the last week of June. Summer tax bills are due on September 14, 2016, without any interest or penalty. Please remember that ALL unpaid Summer 2016 taxes will be rolled to Jackson County on March 1, 2017, and will no longer be accepted at the Columbia Township Offices.
Winter 2016 Tax Payments
The Winter 2016 taxes will be mailed out to residents the last week of November, 2016. Winter taxes are due, without interest or penalty, by February 14, 2017.
Tax Payment Options
We have a variety of payment options available for your convenience.
- We accept payment here at our office.
- Mailed tax payments are accepted but if you require a receipt, please send us a self-addressed, stamped envelope so we can mail your receipt back to you.
- First Merit Bank in Brooklyn accepts tax payments as well. Just be sure that you have the stub at the bottom of your tax bill so your payment can be applied correctly.
- You can also pay your tax bill with a credit credit by phone, internet or here at the office. There is a 3% convenience fee charged by the processing company if you choose to use a credit card OR debit card.
- Electronic checks are also accepted ONLINE only. There is a $3.00 fee for processing an electronic check request.
- We have a lock box if you need to leave a payment once we have closed.
- We offer ACH payments with multiple dates that you can choose from for processing.
If you have any questions about how to pay your tax bill, please feel free to give our office a call.